Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hey, Ellen and Portia: Daughters Rule!

Hi girls! On my way into work yesterday, I heard a story on the radio about Ellen DeGeneres and her spouse Portia De Rossi wanting to start a family. Good for them! Then the announcer said that they were hoping for a boy, but they would be happy to have any healthy child. That's when my heart sank. I don't know how true that statement is, since it didn't come from either Ellen's or Portia's mouth, but it made me feel a little sad. If it is truly how they feel, let me state that I'm not one to judge their reasons, whatever they may be. But being the mother of a daughter, I am at a loss for understanding why anyone would prefer a boy over a girl. In many parts of the world, such as China with its draconian "One Child Policy," boys, being the ones to continue a family's lineage, are often valued over girls. Sometimes--horribly--girls are aborted or killed after birth so that the parents have another chance to try for a boy. This breaks my heart. To think of all of the amazing girls who might not be here because of such despicable acts. I'm not putting Ellen and Portia in this category, of course. Like I said, they have their reasons and are entitled to them. But to hear people say they favor boys over girls still makes me a little uneasy. My husband and I thought we were having a boy, since his family is boy-dominant. At our 20 week ultrasound, we were surprised to find a little daughter in the making. My husband's first reaction: "I don't know what to do with girls!" And, more importantly: "Now who will I leave my Mustang to?" My reply: "You'll leave it to her!!!" Perhaps, as she matures, we will have more to worry about with her than if we had a boy. Girls are more vulnerable to violent crimes. Girls are the ones with the chance of becoming pregnant. The list of potential worries goes on and on--believe me, I've thought of all of them! But my daughter is truly wonderful, truly amazing. I believe she will grow up to do great things, like the millions of phenomenal women before her. Sure, men have us beat on physical strength, but nothing else. So to Ellen and Portia, let me say this: boy or girl, may you discover that you are equally blessed to have either!

EB

For positive-ly cool clothes for girls, tweens and teens, check out www.gis4girl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment